Main Page >> Timekeeping
An explanation of the Greyhawk Calendar. The campaign timeline is posted here.
There are 364 days in an Oerth year. The seven days in the week are broken down thusly:
Starday – Work
Sunday – Work
Moonday – Work
Godsday – Worship
Waterday – Work
Earthday – Work
Freeday – Rest
There are also 12 months of 28 days, interrupted every quarter by seven days of festival, named thusly:
The elves and nomads have different names for the seasons, which I will provide should anyone decide they need to know. The pale Great Moon, called Luna, waxes and wanes on a fixed cycle of 28 days, which is what the months are based upon. The aquamarine Lesser Moon, Celene, follows a path that reveals her full beauty but four times each year, thus showing the time for civilized festivals.
An interesting feature of the Greyhawk calendar is that the days of the week always occur on the same day every year, a result of the year having a number of days divisible by seven.
The first of the month is always a Starday, and the rest follow as shown below:
- Starday is always on the 1st, 8th, 15th, and 22nd of the month.
- Sunday is always on the 2nd, 9th, 16th, and 23rd of the month.
- Moonday is always on the 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th of the month.
- Godsday is always on the 4th, 11th, 18th, and 25th of the month.
- Waterday is always on the 5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th of the month.
- Earthday is always on the 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th of the month.
- Freeday is always on the 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th of the month.